Saturday, June 18, 2011

Experience as Retail Pharmacist Part 2

Yesterday was my first time of working full day as locum pharmacist, total 8 hours + 1 hour of dinner break. Surprisingly, I was quite enjoying this round and not as exhausted as I have expected. I guess because the permanent pharmacist was around for the first 4 hours.

There were 2 customers who approached me for glucose level testing, RM5 per test. I tested using Accu-Chek Performa system, the glucometer which I'm more familiar with.
One of the customer is a young handsome Malay guy, I guess in his early twenties. His glucose level was 17.2 mmol/L 2-hour after meal (postprandial). According to him, previously (one month ago) his postprandial level was 25 mmol/L, but he was then been told to try on one traditional complementary medicine ( he didn't manage to recall the med. name) and now the glucose level is much better. He's not on any antidiabetic medications and plans to continue consuming the trad. medicine. I tried to explain to him that his glucose level is still high and above normal range, he needs immediate medical consultation and appropriate treatment before diabetes mellitus causes any microvascular and macrovascular complications on him. In the end, the polite young man agreed and decided to seek treatment in private hospital for further management. I hope he keeps his promise and his diabetes can be under controlled soon. After today, I realized that public awareness on diabetes mellitus is still very low. Our ministry of health should put in more efforts to increase the awareness... Prevention is always better than cure!

3 comments:

bacterium said...

Oh well, it's about time I should go for a glucose test as well. Think I'm getting diabetic.

Min said...

My place doesn't provide glucose testing service, hehe, so less job :)

Mindy said...

Bacterium, faster go for a check up then!!!

Min, glucose testing service and cholesterol testing really more ma fan, esp cholesterol where i have to use the ldx machine to get total lipid profile...